Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Charleston Snow and the Holidays!



(fabulous photos were taken by my niece Alaina!)

It was an unbelievable December. We had lots of family in town for the holidays and we all had so much fun. We had the big Christmas Eve party with lasagna, ham, and chili, an oyster roast overseen by the fire pit master--my brother-in-law Adam--along with fried shrimp whipped up by him and my sister-in-law Lisa, New Year's Eve tacos & fireworks, and a fabulous New Year's Day feast made by Grandma Dianne complete with collards, and black eyed peas with rice. To die for....

No one goes overboard like I do at Christmas time. My daughter says I have at least eight Christmas trees (I might actually have 10, but I'm not sure). Above are two of our largest trees. A white tree with blue lights and ornaments that goes up on Thanksgiving day in the living room. My husband Lee calls it a "Landing Beacon" for the C-17 planes flying over. And then a great smelling fresh Frasier fir in the den with homemade ornaments that we put up the first weekend in December.(Thymes candles has an incredibly realistic smelling Frasier fir candle that I buy every year. They're expensive, but well worth it! www.thymes.com.)
One of the best things that happened Christmas weekend is that it snowed! I've been waiting for this for years! It was the second time in one year that we've had snow in Charleston(unheard of). we also saw measurable snow on February 12. For a town that gets measurable snow only every 10 years or so, and maybe a flurry every three years it was an amazing site! Attached is a video of the snow falling over the spartina grass and marsh in my backyard. And the fact that it snowed during the day (which is even more of an anomaly because it's usually too warm) we had some great opportunities to get some photographs.


What a wonderful time I had with my husband and daughter, and family. I preserved every moment with photos and will remind myself all year long of just how lucky I am!
Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. We love Charleston! We go down there every chance we can, which is not nearly often enough. And the gardens in yards downtown are spectacular- what a beautiful place to live!

    ReplyDelete