Monday, April 26, 2010

Japanese Forest Grass: Fingers Crossed That It'll Grow!






The fact that I can't find Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' - Golden Japanese Forest Grass at any nurseries in Charleston makes me nervous. This is a gorgeous ornamental made for the SHADE for zones roughly 5-9. That's me! That's Charleston! But when I read about it....grows on a japanese island called Hakone, grows well in the Northwest, and then I find websites for it all over the place closer to zone 6. I begin to wonder....

I've been talking about this ornamental around the house for so many months now that Lee and Piper almost know the Latin name. I mean, I WANT this in my garden! So I start small. Experiment officially in progress. I keep repeating over and over again in my head, "A clumping variegated ornamental that thrives in the shade in zone 8b? Why do I feel like I am the only one in Charleston looking for this?"

So, I ordered it from a garden mail order company in the midwest. The mail carrier dropped it at my door in its poofy green plastic bag, and each of the three very small clumps of grass were cleverly package in cardboard, rubber banded, and really looked quite happy when I took them out (pictured above). My husband couldn't believe that anyone could actually order plants via mail, and that they come in mail-quality packing, and even look pretty good upon arrival. He made me laugh while pondering the possibilities of ordering garden plants by mail.

Middle photo is from the Heronswoods Nursery in Seattle.

Or check out Charleston Home Magazine editor Ellen McGauley's blog where she talks about my love for this fantastic grass.

http://www.charlestonmag.com/home/blog/all_star_ornamental_grass

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how that one does for you. The picture looks like the now defunked Heronswood Nursery in Seattle. It was a wonderful place and I have shots in this exact spot from many visits there starting in 1987.

    Certainly loves their England-like weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is from Heronswood Nursery. Would have loved to have visited. Way cool that you got the same shot from the same spot.

    ReplyDelete