Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sarah Bernhardt Peony: Will This Beauty Love its New Home in my Charleston Garden?



PEONIES. Lots of gorgeous peonies. Not what you would expect to see in a Southern garden. I said I would never try to grow one because it's just too difficult in a place like Charleston. Never say never. I found this herbaceous Sarah Bernhardt beauty at Lowe's for about $12. It calls for morning sun only, which I can handle. It thrives in zones 3-8. I think I can handle that too, except that my zone 8 is a micro-climate zone 8b....more subtropical, more heat, more humidity. All things that I guess a peony really doesn't like.

I've always told myself that there's a reason Southern gardeners are lucky to have camellias....because we can't really grow the coveted north-loving peony.

It has one beautiful nursery-forced fragrant bloom on it. I can't stop staring at it. I will savor this moment as I know it might be the only bloom I ever see on it. For now, and maybe for just a little while, I will pretend that I am a Northern gardener welcoming my peony into spring.

Hands holding peonies above are from Martha Stewart's page on Sarah Bernhard peonies. Check it out for all of the specifics: http://www.marthastewart.com/plant/paeonia-sarah-bernhardt

(Top photo is my new Sarah Bernhardt peony with its lone bloom. Keeping it company are variegated dianella, ligularia, and purple heart.)

4 comments:

  1. I believe I tried peonies here in Columbia, and they did not do as well as I had hoped...a distance memory I believe ! Good luck though ! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. After living in northern Ohio, and knowing what they do when they are happy and loving life, I had to make the decision to 'Just say no." So I will look forward to your success and follow the journey you are on with your new peony.

    Great to see you start your blog. We need more Charleston gardeners blogging and sharing the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAG and CIMS: I know that the outlook is grim... Maybe if nothing else, I'll have gotten the peony bug out of my system once and for all.

    Looking forward to following both your blogs as well. And good to see your out here, Jim! I searched and searched for Charleston bloggers and just wasn't coming up with more than a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started mine in August 2008 and have had a blast with it. It is really fun to look back and see what was going on in life at those posting moments!

    ReplyDelete