Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pondering Cacti: A Personal Mini Desert


I'm not too familiar with the thirstless cactus since I'm more of a shade gardener, but I loved this zen-inspired, potted prickly bunch that I saw at Hyam's Garden Center recently. Here are a few that I'm thinking about putting together in my own mini desert:
Jade Plant
Kalanchoe
Aloe
Sphaeroids/Mimicry (those neat little compact succulents that look like green rocks)
Aeoniums
Strings of Hearts
Haworthia
Echeveria
Sedum
Plover Eggs
Fairy Moss


Here is a really fun site about nothing but cacti. Grouping ideas, inspiration, identification library, and even desktop downloads: www.cactuscollection.com

2 comments:

  1. Hyme's Garden Center has one of the best selections of succulents available in Charleston. I just love going there and seeing the variety and how they use them in container plantings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have what I call a "Rock Garden" that I have neglected terribly in the past year or so. One reason is that I don't find very many really hardy cucculents at nurseries in Columbia. Can you tell me where Hyme's Garden Center is located? I'll visit them next time I am in Charleston.

    Check out my last visit to Charleston at www.totallyterrafirma.com.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete